- This event has passed.
2021 USA 50 km / 35 km Championships
February 28, 2021
2021 USATF Men’s 50km & Women’s 35km Race Walk Championships
(Serves as the U.S. Trials for the 2021 Pan American Race Walk Cup 35km events)
* When: Sunday, February 28, 2021 – Start Time: 7:30am; Anticipated Finish Time of the 50km Winner: 11:30am. There will be a time cut-off for the 50km race, whereby athletes must have begun their last lap no later than 7h 30m into the race.
* Where: Santee, CA – A 1.25km course on Riverview Parkway and Town Center Parkway adjacent to the Mall at Trolley Square at Santee Town Center, with the start / finish on Town Center Parkway behind the Mall. Due to San Diego county, California state, and USATF COVID-19 protocols, no spectators will be allowed.
* Additional Events: USATF National Masters Men’s 50km & Masters Women’s 35km Championships, as well as 50km, 35km, 30km, 20km, 10km, and 5km open race walks for men and women, masters, and youth – which will include the USATF San Diego-Imperial Association 5km Championships and a Youth (12 & under) 2.5km race. There will be a team competition in both the USATF Championship Men’s 50km and Women’s 35km races and the USATF Masters Men’s 50km & Masters Women’s 35km Championships – with a max of 5 athletes per team with 3 scoring. There will possibly be a number of international guest competitors, as well.
* Expected Highlights: Up to 4 U.S. men and women, depending upon USATF qualifying protocols, will qualify to compete for Team USA at the 2021 Pan American Race Walk Cup in Guayaquil, Ecuador on May 8&9, 2021. Several of the favorites among the athletes expected to compete have local roots. There will be an accompanying international 50 km and other invitational events and we expect a number of top male and female walkers from around the NACAC & South American Areas to compete in an attempt to qualify for both the Tokyo Olympics and the Pan American Cup.
* COVID-19 Health & Safety Guidelines: Consistent with the current USATF sanction guidelines for a Level 2 / Moderate Risk event, as well as both the San Diego County and California state protocols and guidelines, the following rules and procedures are some of those that will be in effect for this year’s Championships. Please note that these rules and protocols are subject to change on short notice; but changes if and when they occur, will be immediately posted at USATF.org, as well as then-current registrants being notified.
* All competitors will be required to have had 1 negative PCR Test within 7 days prior to the January 31 race, and be able to provide proof of it.
* All competitors must adhere to all travel quarantine rules then in effect for USATF COVID-19 protocols, as well as California and San Diego County protocols, though please, be aware that California and San Diego County consider this event to be a professional sports event to which different, less restrictive rules apply. Please, contact Tracy Sundlun at 619-726-1952 (cell) or TracySundlun@gmail.com for clarification or any questions you might have.
* All competitors will be responsible for any and all expenses involved with testing and quarantine requirements resulting from trying to compete in any of the events.
* All participants and event personnel (officials, support staff, volunteers, judges, and participating athletes) must pass a temperature-check test upon entering the venue on race-day, complete a public health / CDC symptom survey, and sign a special waiver.
* To encourage social distancing, just one person may enter the packet pick-up area for each team or individual.
* Social distancing will be mandated and controlled throughout the venue, including on the course, at the personal aid tables, at the start line, and in the finish area.
* All coaches, support staff, judges, officials, event staff, and volunteers will be required to wear a mask at all times.
* Athletes will be required to wear a mask except when racing. Masks can be removed at the starting line and will be put back on in the finish area.
* Only fluids in bottles – not in cups — will be distributed on the course at both the personal and general aid stations.
* There will be no concessions (food or otherwise) at the venue. Everyone is encouraged to bring everything they need.
* Interesting Facts: 50km is 31.07 miles, and the male winner will finish in about 4 hours, walking about 7:55 per mile, which means they will pass the marathon in about 3 hours and 27 minutes, and go another 5 miles … all while race walking!
* Race Directors: Tracy Sundlun, Everything Running, 619-726-1952 (cell), TracySundlun@gmail.com; Jennifer Nanista Stephens, 619-990-4892 (cell), email@example.com; Eric Marenburg, San Diego Running Co., 301-520-1316 (cell), firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Media Contacts: Dan Cruz, 619-925-7671 (cell), email@example.com and Susan Hazzard, 317-713-4664 (office), firstname.lastname@example.org
* Entry Information – USATF M 50km & W 35km RW Championships: Entries for the USATF Men’s 50km and Women’s 35km RW Championships will be due by Wednesday, January 19, 2021, 11:59pm Pacific Time. The on-time entry fee will be $40. After this time, entries will be accepted only as late entries through Monday, January 24th, 11:59pm Pacific Time. The late entry fee will be $90. Championship entries must be declared on Monday or Tuesday, January 24 or 25 by 11:59 PM Pacific Time on the USATF.org entry portal for the event. Athletes wanting to enter the USATF Men’s 50km & Women’s 35km National Championships must do so on-line using the USATF registration/entry portal at USATF.org/events.
* Entry Information – Open, Masters and Youth Events: Contact Jennifer Nanista Stephens at 619-990-4892 (cell) or email@example.com. The entry fee for all races except the 10km, 5km, and youth (12 & under) 2.5km is $40. The entry fee for the 10km and 5km is $30 and youth (12 & under) 2.5km is $20. Entrants in all non-USATF Open Men’s & Women’s Championship events — including the USATF Masters Championships, and all international entrants will receive a unique entry form from Jennifer.
* Prize Money: The prize structure for place finishers at the USATF Men’s 50km & Women’s 35km Race Walk National Champs will be: 1st) $8,000, 2nd) $6,000, 3rd) $4,000, 4th) $3,000, 5th) $2,000, 6th) $1,000, 7th) $1,000. These funds are provided by USA Track & Field. Please note that in order to be eligible for the USATF National Championship prize money, an athlete must be properly entered & declared in the manner prescribed on the USATF web-site. Additionally, it is hoped that there will also be a separately funded prize purse for the International 50km Challenge and the 20km Invitational, and when and if that comes to be, it will be posted here, and all entrants will be notified.
* Sponsoring / Host Organizations: City of Santee, CA, USA Track & Field – San Diego-Imperial Association, UNATION, San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E)
* Event Headquarters & Official Hotel: Rodeway Inn, 619-258-2020, 10135 Mission Gorge Rd, Santee, CA 92071 – Rodeway Inn is across the street from the race course. Rooms are $101.22 for a double-double on Friday and Saturday and $95.68 on Thursday and Sunday; $95.68 for a king bed on Friday and Saturday and $90.15 on Thursday and Sunday; and $90.15 for a single queen bed on Friday and Saturday and $84.61 on Thursday and Sunday. All prices are tax-included. Event code is: RaceWalking. Housing block and pricing will be held until January 17, at which time the block will be released and rooms will be available on a space-available basis only. Facilities: Pool (unheated), free internet and coffee (6:00am – 9:00am).
* Additional Official Hotel: Carlton Oaks Golf Club, 619-448-4242, 9200 Inwood Drive, Santee, CA 92071 – Carlton Oaks is 2.0 miles from the race course. Rooms are $122.27 (tax-included) per night for both singles and doubles. You can use this link to book your rooms https://www.choicehotels.com/reservations/groups/LR98J9, or when calling, mention USA Race Walking 20210 to get the group rate. The housing block will be held until January 15, at which time the block and the event rate will be released and rooms will be available on a space-available basis only. Facilities: Pool (unheated), but no Jacuzzi and gym facilities; Free Internet; Bar & Grill open 9:00am – 7:45pm.
* Event Features: Due to both San Diego County, California State, and USATF COVID-19 Health and Safety Guidelines, on-site activities at the 2021 Championships will be limited to Event Guides and music on the course provided by a DJ.